About Me

Atlanta, GA, United States
I'm a recent college grad with an interest in public health as a career. I am making the most of my "downtime" between college and beginning graduate school at University of Alabama at Birmingham.

Saturday, March 6, 2010

"Caring for Your Introvert" from The Atlantic

A friend sent me this and it is too well-written for me not to share it here.
Do you know someone who needs hours alone every day? Who loves quiet conversations about feelings or ideas, and can give a dynamite presentation to a big audience, but seems awkward in groups and maladroit at small talk? Who has to be dragged to parties and then needs the rest of the day to recuperate? Who growls or scowls or grunts or winces when accosted with pleasantries by people who are just trying to be nice?

I've recently realized that is why I am exhausted all the time these past two weeks: I am rarely alone and sometimes I just need breathing room. This upcoming roadtrip will be glorious from that standpoint! And this need to be alone is a quality about myself that I am rediscovering now that I do have more leisure time and am more social than before. I write more in my journal for myself, and I think that earning my own approval has become much more important to me than earning that of others.

How can I let the introvert in my life know that I support him and respect his choice? First, recognize that it's not a choice. It's not a lifestyle. It's an orientation.

Second, when you see an introvert lost in thought, don't say "What's the matter?" or "Are you all right?"

Third, don't say anything else, either.


For the full article, click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment