About Me

Atlanta, GA, United States
I'm a recent college grad with an interest in public health as a career. I am making the most of my "downtime" between college and beginning graduate school at University of Alabama at Birmingham.

Sunday, April 18, 2010

Lots of things.

My housemate Sean says there are way too many things going on with me at once right now, and I guess he is right.

I drove over to Birmingham to visit UAB on Friday, and took a tour, and I love the campus. I love what I saw of Birmingham, and I felt pretty safe and comfortable there. I also really liked the department and think I might fit in pretty well. My contact person there was really helpful in answering questions about potential financial aid, and there's a possibility I may qualify for the Academic Common Market, which would allow me to attend for in-state tuition prices. The woman who gave me my tour is a first-year in the program and was very helpful and enthusiastic and directed me to websites to look up housing.

So for now, I am up in the air. I have to decide by May 1st, so that I can tell GSU whether or not I have chosen them, and I have no idea. I'm going to try on this idea of moving to Birmingham this week and see how it fits me. I'll be looking at apartments and thinking about when I would move, and use that to help see how I really feel about the idea of moving.

In other news, pre-POC went off pretty well. The property is quite nice and reminded me of like a family summer vacation type place- not super nice, but definitely not a dump. I was in a suite, there was a refrigerator, a stove and it was like being in a little tiny apartment. On Friday night, I was there alone, and I didn't feel unsafe. I drove out to Homewood to look around and find dinner and then came home and had a beer and relaxed and read.

On Saturday, it was like summer camp, almost. I was a lot more familiar with the property and was running around from building to building and then once more of my friends arrived, we were running errands to WalMart and Sam's in search of party supplies. Sean and I made jello shots before I crashed out for half an hour- I was feeling really sick and tried to nap a few times, only to be awakened by someone texting or my con-roommate coming in to the room in search of me. After the nap, I felt much more human, had dinner, and then painted myself green. It worked pretty well- but I have NO pictures! All in all, the weekend was very fun, and I got to see a lot of friends I dearly love and make more new friends! I'm really looking forward to POC 3 now!

No comments:

Post a Comment